July is Independent Retailer Month and with such an amazing array of retailers offering you, well, everything you could possibly need or want, you shouldn’t need any incentive at all to explore your area and find what you need – and what you didn’t know you needed. But, just in case you need to be reminded…here are 5 points to keep in mind…
- Money spent Locally, stays Locally: $48 from every $100 sale with a local independent retailer stays in the community – compared to $14 at chain stores. And local businesses donate 4x more to local charities and not-for-profits than big boxes and franchises do.
- Local is Eco-friendly: Local businesses contribute very little to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution and utilize public services more efficiently compared to chains.
- More independents = lower prices: It is a huge myth that large chains and box stores are more price competitive through volume purchasing – independent retailers provide healthy competition and innovative services creating a more diversified marketplace that pushes overall prices down.
- Healthy local businesses = higher real estate prices: The character of a place is driven by the businesses that thrive there. Local amenities are necessary to attract large companies through economic development initiatives and contribute to the overall satisfaction of those who live there, and the desirability for those looking for a new home, positively impacting real estate values.
- Independent Businesses provide better Customer Service: Independent retailers hire locally and tend to hire employees with more specialized expertise, leading to an improved customer experience.
So, supporting your local independent retailer really has very little to do with them, and everything to do with you and the kind of place you want to live, work and play.
What are you waiting for? Get shopping! And if you are looking for something new – or not sure what you are looking for – download the Emoggo app and get exploring!
About the Author: This is me! My passion lies in leveraging today’s technology to create, support and engage communities and drive measurable economic growth. Like many, I yearn for a time when fear won’t dominate actions, where local shops thrive and people understand the value and power of local investment, in all it’s forms.
~ Lisa Denis, Founder